Skip to main content

Set Me Free by Kayla Jones Review

I haven’t read something as deeply raw and emotional as Set Me Free in a very long time. This was a story told by the only person who could really tell it.

Warning: spoilers ahead!

I’m always a sucker for books with interesting perspectives, and Laura Freeman—who spends the majority of the book dead—fulfilled this perfectly. Even if she weren’t unique in the fact that she narrates the absence of her life rather than the presence of it, her moxie, sensitivity, and tenacity would differentiate her from other YA characters anyway. Too often, in books with similar situations as Set Me Free, I see protagonists who are whiny, annoying, or just plain boring. Laura is absolutely none of these things. She’s deep. She shows emotion like a normal person. The relationships she has with people are messy and strong and wonderful all at once, like real relationships are. 

Right now, in the time and place we are in, the story that Set Me Free tells is one that so desperately needs to be told. Jones doesn’t shy away from brutal images, gut-wrenching violence, and harsh interactions—if the world seems to be too okay with these things happening, then why shouldn’t someone who is not okay with these things not depict them in their full, horrifying light? Jones isn’t afraid to get political, which is something I personally find courageous and necessary in a society that has made political discussion taboo. Throughout the book, the reader forgets that Jones is so young. It’s kind of a defense mechanism, really: no one as young as Jones should be able to write about such terrible things in such vivid detail. But, hauntingly, she nails it.

Set Me Free is definitely one of the most important books I have read in 2019, and probably one of the most important ever. Everyone needs to read this book.


*Disclaimer: I won my copy of Set Me Free in a giveaway sponsored by Kayla Jones, but the nature of my review was in no way affected by this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Eliza Noel

One of my favorite things about being a teen author is that we have the entire world at our fingertips, which makes for wonderful communication among us, regardless of where we are. Even though Eliza Noel lives in California and I’m over in New York, I was able to participate in her blog tour, which allows her to reach the computers of people worldwide without any strenuous travel.  I had the opportunity—and the honor—to interview Eliza about her upcoming release, Dawn Chandler. Regarded as “a story of faith, family, and contentment”, the middle-grade novel follows twelve-year-old Dawn from Fresno to Lone Pine, California as her parents decide to homeschool her and the rest of her siblings. Dawn isn’t thrilled about being homeschooled, but she’s even more upset about the fact that her family might be moving.  I asked Eliza questions about her book and her writing process to share, marking Teenage Lexicon a stop on her blog tour. Dawn Chandler  is a mi...

Building With Words and Writing With Brick

Above anything else that I am, I am a storyteller. I am prone to devoting myself to the worlds in my head, as most storytellers are. Like all writers, I tend to commit my stories to words—language is my primary medium. But it isn’t my only. This is why I am enthralled by architecture: I see buildings as another medium for storytelling. But, unlike books or paintings, buildings don’t stop becoming something once they’ve been built. Once started, they continue to tell themselves.  They are a vehicle for my stories—they often help propel them in new directions I wouldn’t have otherwise deemed possible. My buildings are as much a part of The Knowers as my books.  Skylar's House - Final Enter Me, sophomore year. The Knowers is going through major overhaul. The Eminence isn’t born yet. I think I want to be a marine biologist, I have no idea how to draw, I have to take Scripture studies for my Catholic school’s religious curriculum.  Yes, the Bible can be ...

Tackling the Harrowing Task of Naming Your Characters

Ah, the bane of every writer’s existence: naming your characters. An extensive plot and coinciding subplots, subtle symbolism, and quirky dialogue may come extremely easy to you, but picking a name for your character is a completely different ballpark—in fact, it’s more like an ice rink. Your OCs are like your children, after all, and you want only the best for your children (unless, of course, you kill them off). In actuality, however, naming a character is simple if you don’t overthink it. But if the perfect name doesn’t come to you in your sleep like some sort of lucid dream, then here are some things you might want to try. 1. Keep an ongoing name list, even before you’re planning on a new character.   Every time you hear a name you like, you should jot it down somewhere. Maybe you’ve just met a Sadie in your chemistry class and you love her name. Or you’re watching the news and an anchor named Holden catches your attention. Just having a list in a journal or on you...