Skip to main content

The Flames that Corrupt Us by Isabel Jordan Review

It’s difficult to write a book like The Flames that Corrupt Us. Stories that take place in intricate universes tend to lack in either world-building or character development.

Isabel Jordan has woven a story that doesn’t lack either.

Warning: spoilers ahead!

From the very first encounter, you are pulled into the Valley. You take that plane with Insley and Andrew through the hole in the sky, and you are there. This level of world-building surpasses some from adult authors, yet Jordan has struck genius. I cannot fathom the depth of her imagination. She details what can best be described as augmented reality: she strikes a balance between magic, science, and reality with delicacy. Her world doesn’t rely on any one aspect—it’s extraordinarily balanced.

But the focus on world-building doesn’t distract from characterization. Insley and Andrew are especially developed; their tenacity is astounding without defying normal fourteen-year-old tendencies. They embark on this journey not without fear, but without trepidation. Jordan shows you just how determined they are to save their home. I would definitely like to see some more development of Alaina, Charlotte, Joshua, and Connor, but I know there are more books on the way and therefore plenty of time to get to know these characters as well as we’ve come to know Insley and Andrew. 

Jordan maintains a steady and quick pace throughout the book. Usually, I’m not prone to liking books that move this quickly, but her story lends itself perfectly to this speed. The style itself conveys the urgency with which Insley and Andrew act to get this liquid and save the Valley. Though there were a few scenes in which I’d have liked a bit more detail, Jordan elaborated exactly where it counted, such as when Insley has to sew up Andrew’s arm. 


I can’t wait to read the next book, The Maze that Deceives Us (which is an awesome title, I must add) because the first book has pulled me into this world and has acquainted me with these characters and, quite honestly, I’m not quite ready to leave the Valley just yet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Eliza Noel

One of my favorite things about being a teen author is that we have the entire world at our fingertips, which makes for wonderful communication among us, regardless of where we are. Even though Eliza Noel lives in California and I’m over in New York, I was able to participate in her blog tour, which allows her to reach the computers of people worldwide without any strenuous travel.  I had the opportunity—and the honor—to interview Eliza about her upcoming release, Dawn Chandler. Regarded as “a story of faith, family, and contentment”, the middle-grade novel follows twelve-year-old Dawn from Fresno to Lone Pine, California as her parents decide to homeschool her and the rest of her siblings. Dawn isn’t thrilled about being homeschooled, but she’s even more upset about the fact that her family might be moving.  I asked Eliza questions about her book and her writing process to share, marking Teenage Lexicon a stop on her blog tour. Dawn Chandler  is a mi...

Building With Words and Writing With Brick

Above anything else that I am, I am a storyteller. I am prone to devoting myself to the worlds in my head, as most storytellers are. Like all writers, I tend to commit my stories to words—language is my primary medium. But it isn’t my only. This is why I am enthralled by architecture: I see buildings as another medium for storytelling. But, unlike books or paintings, buildings don’t stop becoming something once they’ve been built. Once started, they continue to tell themselves.  They are a vehicle for my stories—they often help propel them in new directions I wouldn’t have otherwise deemed possible. My buildings are as much a part of The Knowers as my books.  Skylar's House - Final Enter Me, sophomore year. The Knowers is going through major overhaul. The Eminence isn’t born yet. I think I want to be a marine biologist, I have no idea how to draw, I have to take Scripture studies for my Catholic school’s religious curriculum.  Yes, the Bible can be ...

Tackling the Harrowing Task of Naming Your Characters

Ah, the bane of every writer’s existence: naming your characters. An extensive plot and coinciding subplots, subtle symbolism, and quirky dialogue may come extremely easy to you, but picking a name for your character is a completely different ballpark—in fact, it’s more like an ice rink. Your OCs are like your children, after all, and you want only the best for your children (unless, of course, you kill them off). In actuality, however, naming a character is simple if you don’t overthink it. But if the perfect name doesn’t come to you in your sleep like some sort of lucid dream, then here are some things you might want to try. 1. Keep an ongoing name list, even before you’re planning on a new character.   Every time you hear a name you like, you should jot it down somewhere. Maybe you’ve just met a Sadie in your chemistry class and you love her name. Or you’re watching the news and an anchor named Holden catches your attention. Just having a list in a journal or on you...