Skip to main content

Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli Review

SPOILER ALERT!

I went into this book absolutely engrossed in the Simonverse. After finishing Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, I just kind of sat there, staring at the last page, kind of in awe. I had read books with characters just as developed and complicated as Albertalli’s Creekwood teens, but somehow, these characters seemed different. More real. They were people I knew, not people I’d seen on some movie or read in another YA book. 

So I was just a tiny bit nervous to read Leah on the Offbeat because I didn’t want to jeopardize this wonder. But I read it anyway, and I’m so, so glad I did.

Leah on the Offbeat is in the point of view of Leah Burke, one of Simon’s best friends from Simon. But in Simon, the reader never finds out that Leah is a closeted bisexual. Her identity becomes a point of contention in the spin-off. 

But it isn’t the entire book. Leah is not defined by her sexuality. It’s a big part of her, and it’s a big part of the plot, but that’s not all there is to Leah Burke. She’s sarcastic, cutting, a talented drummer, a budding artist, and, above all, a pretty great friend. She’s not written as a one-dimensional person whose sole purpose is to find out who she is. She already knows. She just has to figure out how to express it all.

I’m enthralled by multifaceted YA novels because a lot of people don’t believe they exist. But here’s one that deals with issues ranging from body image to casual racism to economic disparity. Albertalli handles them delicately without sugarcoating, and it adds another layer of substance to the book. 


Leah serves to offer a place to those who feel like they don’t have one. Though this acceptance is in the context of the LGBTQ+ community, it can be an outstretched hand to anyone that feels as if they need one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Eliza Noel

One of my favorite things about being a teen author is that we have the entire world at our fingertips, which makes for wonderful communication among us, regardless of where we are. Even though Eliza Noel lives in California and I’m over in New York, I was able to participate in her blog tour, which allows her to reach the computers of people worldwide without any strenuous travel.  I had the opportunity—and the honor—to interview Eliza about her upcoming release, Dawn Chandler. Regarded as “a story of faith, family, and contentment”, the middle-grade novel follows twelve-year-old Dawn from Fresno to Lone Pine, California as her parents decide to homeschool her and the rest of her siblings. Dawn isn’t thrilled about being homeschooled, but she’s even more upset about the fact that her family might be moving.  I asked Eliza questions about her book and her writing process to share, marking Teenage Lexicon a stop on her blog tour. Dawn Chandler  is a mi...

Building With Words and Writing With Brick

Above anything else that I am, I am a storyteller. I am prone to devoting myself to the worlds in my head, as most storytellers are. Like all writers, I tend to commit my stories to words—language is my primary medium. But it isn’t my only. This is why I am enthralled by architecture: I see buildings as another medium for storytelling. But, unlike books or paintings, buildings don’t stop becoming something once they’ve been built. Once started, they continue to tell themselves.  They are a vehicle for my stories—they often help propel them in new directions I wouldn’t have otherwise deemed possible. My buildings are as much a part of The Knowers as my books.  Skylar's House - Final Enter Me, sophomore year. The Knowers is going through major overhaul. The Eminence isn’t born yet. I think I want to be a marine biologist, I have no idea how to draw, I have to take Scripture studies for my Catholic school’s religious curriculum.  Yes, the Bible can be ...

Tackling the Harrowing Task of Naming Your Characters

Ah, the bane of every writer’s existence: naming your characters. An extensive plot and coinciding subplots, subtle symbolism, and quirky dialogue may come extremely easy to you, but picking a name for your character is a completely different ballpark—in fact, it’s more like an ice rink. Your OCs are like your children, after all, and you want only the best for your children (unless, of course, you kill them off). In actuality, however, naming a character is simple if you don’t overthink it. But if the perfect name doesn’t come to you in your sleep like some sort of lucid dream, then here are some things you might want to try. 1. Keep an ongoing name list, even before you’re planning on a new character.   Every time you hear a name you like, you should jot it down somewhere. Maybe you’ve just met a Sadie in your chemistry class and you love her name. Or you’re watching the news and an anchor named Holden catches your attention. Just having a list in a journal or on you...